Thursday, February 21, 2008

Random Stuff

I suddenly noticed what a bad blogger I've been, not having written a word in a week. But we did have some excitement, some illness, and finally, some sweater progress.

This past weekend my youngest sister was up from Texas with her husband and 2yo son. It's been five years since she's been up this way, so none of us had met the little guy yet. Let me just say that a grand time was had by all. At one point, in my poor parent's house, there were a total of 5 children under the age of six. All boys. You can imagine the chaos. I thought my poor mother was going to have a complete breakdown! She had all girls, you see, so is just not used to the kind of pandemonium created by 5 little boys.

But it was nice to see everyone, even if all the chaos was a bit much for me, as well. My grandmother and I had a nice time together. She's in her 90s, mostly deaf, has glaucoma *and* cataracts, and is pretty frail. We sat in the kitchen and I pulled out my knitting. I'd forgotten that Nana used to be quite the knitter, but since her eyesight started going and the arthritic kicked in, she had to give it up. She sat there, enthralled, holding the other end of the knitting in her hands, just patting it, while I knit away. I know she can't see much, but her eyes were on those clicking needles the whole time. I can't imagine what it must be like to have to give up something you love like that.

We got home Sunday evening and by Tuesday I had the Toddler Plague. I don't know how kindergarten teacher's survive the school year. Just being in the room with them for two days put me away. Fever, chills, cough - the whole nine yards. Poop.

But it did give me a chance to catch up on some knitting. I finished Kyle's present (so send me your address and I'll get it right out to you!) and got some progress done on my Rogue.
















Now it's back to work. Bah humbug.

2 comments:

The Gadabout Knitter said...

Oh no for being sick! :( But your Rouge looks absolutely lovely! What yarn and colorway are you using?

Kyle William said...

a present? for meee? :) I'm so lucky! email me (kyle at kunnecke dot net and I'll give you my address)

I wonder - if your grandma still has her facilties about her, could she possibly knit even though she doesn't see well? if it's simple garter or stockinette, I think it's almost do-able in the dark after some time....

:)

hugs